Sunday, 7 June 2009

Apprentice

I haven't watched all of the apprentice series but have caught a few episodes, and it has made me think about this whole formation thing which is talked about in training for the priesthood.

Over a 10? week period a serious of people have all their flaws pointed out to them, and we the viewers watch in astonishment that the people on the show haven't already worked out this stuff about themselves. As I watched it this week and last week I thought what an awful thing to put yourself through, but how incredibly character forming. And then..the penny dropped..I am in a three year process where i am having a mirror held up to me - often far more gently than Alan Sugar would. Hopefully - by some miracle - by the end of it all i will have learnt something!

Yours as ever

The Broken Man

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're hired!

The Broken Man said...

thank you! i needed that!

Rev. Richard Thornburgh said...

When I entered Theological College I was told, a bit tongue-in-cheek but nevertheless with some seriousness, that the purpose of the place was to strip away every preconception with which we entered and then rebuild it. It actually wasn't as stark as that, but looking back on the process from a distance of 25 years, I can see that there was an element of truth in it.

I entered strong and secure in the faith that had brought me to that point, confident in my own understanding of the faith, and that my particular take on it had been accepted by the Training Panel as orthodox. What a prig!

I was swiftly exposed to different understandings, practices, interpretations and worship styles, and I gradually began to break down my own borders and let some of it in.

It was such a valuable time in developing my faith and ministry. Lessons learnt then have stood me in good stead over the years, and I am so thankful I went to a College that was not partisan in its churchmanship.

So all I can wish for you is that you not only enjoy the experience, but be willing to listen to difference, and take into your own expression of the faith the insights gained.

Actually, from this side of ordination I'm rather jealous that you have this path ahead of you.

Anna O'Connell said...

There are reflective surfaces everywhere, my friend, each with their own distortions and flaws. Look into *all* of them to learn some useful things. Including how to reflect the characters of other people in ways they find helpful.