Thursday, 6 November 2008

Cohen, long babies, tutorials and essays

For my birthday I was given a ticket to see Leonard Cohen. I am not one to get excited. A wry smile once in a while normally suffices. Yet I confess I am rather pleased about this forthcoming event (next week).It does however collide with a meeting of my tutorial group, and so on Tuesday evening just gone I phoned up my tutor and apologised in advance for my absence. I was informed that normally they would move the date if one of us couldn’t make it, but I had really not given enough notice. I am of course less than convinced about this, and more to the point, the tutorials really are not earth shattering events – while the chance to hear Leonard Cohen sing live – well that happens once in a life time!

Some examination of baby sites reveals that at birth my baby (well, all babies) are expected to be around 19-21 inches long. It’s a sentance that trips off the tongue fairly happily. It seems a reasonable length. Some people might even nod on hearing that figure and think to themselves, "yes, that sounds about right". To put this into perspective, however, a measurement can be made from the waist band of your trousers to your collar bone – on me this is 20 inches. So if I had a baby standing up inside me, it would in fact take up all the space in my stomach and chest. I would need to remove such things as my rib cage and my heart. Now I know its curled up, I am aware that its not standing up in the long suffering wife's stomach. I know it can't. Walking will take a while. It is however a little odd to think about, isn’t it? I mean.... If you had 20 inches of baby standing inside you it would have to kill you wouldn’t it? I know it can't. Look I'm not crazy. But seriously. If it could stand up….

In other news I have an essay due in on the 15th November. I have started it…just not done much on it. Now that I have started it I am realising that its not one I can just knock out in an afternoon. Hmm. If I don’t make it to the deadline – do you think they will accept an explanation of "I was busy thinking about babies standing up?"

Yours as ever,

The Broken Man

6 comments:

Doorman-Priest said...

I have two 6,000 word essays to do by Christmas. I am paralysed by inactivity.

arwen_tiw said...

Wait until baby is born. You'll both sit there looking at baby, looking at LSW's stomach, and going, "nah... you never fitted in there..." :D

Laura ~Peach~ said...

when pregnant with both of my kids it sure FELT like they were trying to stand... and it made eating breathing sleeping just about everything but going to the potty (number 1) hard to do.
my kids were 20 and one half inches and 21 and a half inches long... one was 8 pounds 6 oz the other 9 pounds 10 oz...
enjoy the show!!!
and I am sure you will ge tthe homework done!
Grins Laura

Vixbil said...

I am sure your 'long suffering' will tell you that it feels like it is standing up and maybe evening playing football sometimes!!

Unknown said...

LOL now if you lay on your back on the floor, draw your knees up to your ears and wrap your arms around them..that my friend is how your baby will be sat for the last few weeks!! Get LSW to measure you - i bet she can knock a few feet off your current height!! ;)
Now stop trying to curl up and do your essays :D

Daisy said...

Sounds a good excuse to me! And I'm sitting here reading blogs instead of putting my portfolio together...