Back to work today and back to some kind of routine, at least for me.
So two weeks on, and what lessons have we learnt?
We have learnt that babies should not drink bath water. That thrashing around in the bath is not a baby's way of saying it is having fun but rather an indication that it is choking and would like to have a bit of a back rub and to spit up the bath water it has drunk.
I have also learnt that Grace is the third most popular baby name in 2008 (In England). This has, of course, left me feeling a little depressed that it’s the name we settled on - I have only ever known one person called Grace and so thought it was a safe bet.
Before the birth of my daughter, people informed me in a knowing way that you can't understand how it will change your life until you have a baby. That it will change the way you see everything and think about everything. That may happen. It may just be a delayed reaction on my part, but parenthood is as I anticipated. We do all the same things, go to the same places, we just have a baby with us when we do so. Admittedly, Grace seems to make herself the centre of attention, and serves as an invitation to strangers to say "hello" – for some reason particually in supermarkets.
While I am not a great fan of people, I have found myself prepared to listen to people telling me how beautiful she is, and I do feel rather splendid wandering around with her in a sling. I am always a little confused when people say “well done” on seeing her. Having a baby doesn’t seem like an achievement I can claim any great credit for. If she turns out to be a wonderful young lady, then I will be able to claim some credit in having brought her up well, but having merely succeded in fathering her, I feel no particualar claim to credit. People seem obsessed with telling me that she either looks like me or her mother, although I suspect that mostly, she looks like a baby.
There also seems to be a bit of a gender obsession. We do not dress her in great swathes of pink and bows. Instead she wears baby grows – mostly those from her aunt and an American friend as they are of a far higher quality than those we have got as hand-me-downs. As such, looking at her with a baby grow on, it is impossible to distinguish her gender. Yet people who refer to her as a "he" seem terribly embarssed when they ask her name and we reveal that she is indeed a she not a he. It does not create any offence on our part at all. If it bothered us we would dress her in pink as that seems to be the cue that makes the gender link for people.
As time goes on we may discover that Grace is a girly girl who likes nothing better than party frocks. Or she might prefer jeans. The choice is hers, and I have no particular desire to impose it on her from such an early age. Such outfits have far to many buttons for my liking anyway. Baby grows are a far easier option.
Ahhh.. I have just thought of one thing that came as a surprise..the number of nappies she gets through. Her record is currently at 16 in one day. We are using reusable washable nappies – which, also to our surprise, take 2-3 days to dry. This is creating a bit of a battle in trying to have enough nappies to get through each day..I did momentarily flirt with a disposable nappy when she ran out – it was a free sample – I put it on her...and, well, it was plastic and nasty in every way, and I couldn’t bring myself to leave her in it, and so it was out with the safety pins and a bit of cloth for an old style nappy as opposed to the Velcro pre shapped reusables.
Well that’s it for now.
Yours as ever,
The Broken Man
Monday, 5 January 2009
Back to Work
Labels:
baby,
baby clothes,
baby grows,
bath,
birth,
choking,
disposables,
gender,
Grace,
life,
nappies,
work
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


4 comments:
Well, You seem to be settling into the fatherhood thing quite well. How is the LSW? Hope she is doing well also. Is she still having feeding issues?
Sounds like you're all doing brilliantly. Many find it a huge life-wrenching event, which is very predictable, but they do find that they've underestimated the changes they might have to make.. all that they feel they need to make, for some reason. IMHO these tend to be the ones who buy into all the latest baby gadgets and are too afraid to go out in case the wee chook does a poo and ZOMG we'll need to change a nappy! Many congrats for being at the more sensible end of the parenting spectrum :)
Btw, I heartily recommend "nappi nippas" instead of safety pins, if you use any terries or prefolds.. though until ours crawled, with just folded it into 3 and used a waterproof wrap to hold the nappy against her tiny body, which worked fine.
Sounds like you are loving being a Daddy!
I loved babygrows too, the girlies spent their first year in them virtually as it was so much easier than dressing them in real clothes....much too all my friends dismay I have to say
xx
I have a pupil whose middle name is Chlamidia.
Post a Comment