It seems that Grace has yet to learn how to vomit on demand. While this is a skill which most of us take in our stride, it seems that at 3 ½ weeks old there are occasions when Grace knows she wishes to be sick, but seems a little uncertain of how to go about it.
Instead of sitting down and drawing up a number of possible ways of carrying out this operation she tends to opt for screaming while sticking her tongue out intermitantly. As she screws up her eyes while doing so they look rather puffy and inclined to explode. It is not an attractive look, and as such my vocal daughter tries to avoid this model of behaviour when in company.
For visitors she sleeps, or stares wide eyed and bemused at some unidentifiable point in the room. When accompanied by the occasional smile visitors assure us that Grace is indeed very good, very lovely etc etc. They cuddle her and tell us how relaxing they find her. However, a certain time comes in the evening when the visitors have left and the vocal daughter feels she is able to drop the act.
If you can't be yourself with your family, who can you be straight with? As such she has developed a workable routine. First she pees and screams for a change. We change her. She then pees again. We affix nappy two. She then poos. We affix nappy three. She then requests food (failing to use “please”). After a short feed she indicates that she is bored and sleeps for three mins. This my wife mistakenly takes as an indication that she can stand up. Clearly this results in requests for more feeding.
Having finished feeding its time for the loo again. Discovering that this has not made her feel more comftable the vocal daughter informs us she has wind, this she does cunningly with a slightly different pitched scream while trying to knee herself repeatedly in the stomach.
10 mins or so of winding follows. Normally with nappy change. At this point the vocal daughter has a difficult choice..is it time to feed…or time to vomit? Sometimes unsure which to go for she will attempt a feed and give up to return to crying while sticking out her tongue. A state which she feels able to maintain for some considerable time before returning to the start of the procedure.
Yesterday I came in from a meeting to find the long suffering wife sitting on the sofa having been able to do little other than hold our vocal daughter as she expressed her discomfort. As the long suffering wife was unable to find a method for relieving the distress of Grace, she opted for holding her, while rocking slightly and crying herself, on the principle that, if you can't beat them, join them.
Fortunately for me the vocal daughter decided that she would indeed now vomit (just after I picked her up), and as such would return to a temporary state of calm. An extra pair of hands providing the exciting opportunity for the long suffering wife of having some extended leisure time (10 mins in the shower followed by a cup of tea).
I have of course explained at length to the vocal daughter that having informed me of her discomfort due to winding, cuddling, feeding or nappy changing, she does not need to continue to inform me of it. One short screech for each requirement is sufficient, after which a pause of at least five mins in which the need she has identified is addressed, would to my mind prove to be a far better system.
Despite careful explanations, and even on occasion’s diagrams and a pie chart, the vocal daughter has yet to grasp the finer points of my proposal. I suspect that I need to provide a flow chart for her to ensure that she fully gets to grips with my proposal.
Yours as ever
The Broken Man
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


7 comments:
ohhhhhh you bring back memories....We eventually got gas relief drops and it made a HUGE difference... is our lovely grace a breast baby? i found that certian things I ate or drank really made for an unhappy baby (with my son but, not daughter) Son was a much harder baby... anyway I bought one of those vibrating neck pillows... baby loves it on the belly when the gas is bad.
I hope to see more pictures of the lovely Grace soon :)
Happy parenthood :)
Hugs LAura
Oooh , sounds like colic... that is not fun. When they are drawing their knees up like that , there tummy is hurting, as you have obviously guessed.
Try holding her, putting her on her tummy, across your knees when the winding starts... and gently rubbing her back. It can help, but I'm also with Laura on the gas drops thing - they are a life saver.
I second the comment about LSW's diet. She might want to try cutting down on milk in her diet.
Have a read here?
http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/reflux.html
I can't remember if I told you to watch out for week 3, but if not: watch out for week 3.
It only gets better
Jon
I know how it is and it does get better, promise
xx
thinking of all 3 of you alot
Ahhh, the joys of the newborn. I had more than a few days of crying with my children...this too shall pass!
Really it does, I had twins a mere 14 months after my first child & I survived. They are now 5&6 years old & I'm still alive & sane...for now anyway!
LOL. Sorry to hear the wind is up in Grace's tummy, but the thought of you explaining "I heard you, now be quiet while I fix it." to a tiny baby....
But it does get better. Babies who are well-attended to eventually get to the point where they make a little noise and then give you a chance to make it better. Maybe in another 2-3 months.
I will second the comment to see if it makes a difference what your LSW eats and drinks. Cows milk or lots of cheese for me always caused colic for the my nursing babies. Which made the simethicone gas drops a staple.
Post a Comment