At a tutorial a few days ago I was told of a priest who had been studying Aquinas. When posted to a parish he placed all the volumes of Aquinas he owned under his bed and got on with serving his parish, not returning to them again until he retired.
I look around at my books, I read snippets of this theologian, and segments of another. I skim-read works I would like immerse myself and wonder whether, if it is deemed that I should be a parish priest, the volumes will go unread. I am an arrogant man, I believe that I am capable of being a great theologian. If I have the time to read, to study, to really think, it is my hope that other time I will be able to develop such grand sounding papers as “an integrated theology of providence and intervention in post genesis Christianity”. I would like to write things which would actually make a difference to the shape of theology, to the way church is done, to the way people think of God. A lofty and arrogant ambition indeed, and one ultimatly self-serving. Is my desire that God be known, or that I be knowing?
I find it unlikely that I will be offered a position as theologian-in-residence somewhere, with my task being predominately one of thinking with the odd lecture thrown in for good luck. My life in ministry is likely to be far more about conducting marriages and funerals, than it is about reading the works of great theologians. Maybe though, just maybe, this is a better road. Maybe it is only after 35 years of ministry that I will even begin to have a right to write on theology, and by then – I probably won't want to.
I know there has to be a balance between theory and practice. That often silence is better than speech, that its more important to learn to listen than learn to speak – and oh it’s a lesson I am in need of. I am far to much a fan of the sound of my own voice – or rather ideas (I dislike the sound of my own voice rather intensely).
So…enough rambling…I am going to go and be silent for a while
Yours as ever
The Broken Man
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


4 comments:
Don't be silent for too long, my friend.
God put a hunger in you that He can and will satisfy. Maybe not in the way that you expect - but I cannot believe that He would make you with a longing in your heart in order to hold it over you, tell you it is something you will never find fulfillment for.
I once told my pastor that as much as I enjoy his sermons and lessons, that I much more appreciate the way he lives his faith. I believe that this is what most people want from their ministers.
Actually, you might be surprised at what the future holds.
I think you will find that your energy level is high enough that you will usually be able to study at least a little, even when also doing other work. You have a gift for scholarship, and the support of your lovely and long-suffering wife. I suspect she will willingly help you to find an hour or two most evenings, in between baby-to-bed and kiss-me-goodnight, during which you can read and think and write. Or I may win the lottery and endow a professorship for you somewhere. :-) One never knows.
Post a Comment