So why a broken man? It seems a fair starting question. My life history is a messy business and seems a bit unfriendly to begin my tale with woe; if you find this page of interest, then I am sure we will get to know each other as time goes on, but at least a little explanation seems only right.
My life has contained much in the way of disaster. I can not claim more than others, however; the experinces I have had now seem common place. The loss of a brother to heroin, the loss of a wife to another man, money…ahh, now there is an issue..but I am sure we will come onto that in time.
I have lived through some dark times, as Morrissey once sang, "the things I have seen could make a good man turn bad". My story is not one of someone turned black by the world, however. As this page is black and my writing shines out bright and white, so it is with my life. It is written that those living in darkness have seen a great light, and that is my story. While I am broken, a cracked pot as the expression goes, shines light through those cracks.
As by now I am sure you will have guessed, I am a Christian. It’s a phrase that doesn’t easily roll of my tongue, in honesty; in England Christians have a bit of a bad name, they are associated with hypocrisy, and mediocrity. Faith is something that goes on behind closed doors, and what goes on in churches often seems unrelated to a belief in the Divine. My belief is in a God who is whiter than white, whot blasts away the most impressive advert for a new cleaning powder, I believe in a God who shines and expels darkness, who takes our brokenness, who takes all that has ever gone wrong, all that we have ever done and thought, and transforms it into something beautiful. Strength comes not from this broken husk, but from the God who breathes life into dry bones.
So this blog, this journal, if you care to follow it, will be the story of a broken man, hopefully, bit by bit, made more whole. When writing something like this one wonders who will read it, who will care about the ramblings of a stranger on the other side of the globe, so if you chance upon this page do introduce yourself, let me know that you popped by.
You have a right to wonder what you will find if you where to draw up a seat next to the fire on a regular basis, if you make this a point of departure in your busy day. Who’s life will be laid before you? Well, I am a 32 year old man, married to a wonderful women who is now 16 weeks pregnant with our first child. I have been accepted for training for ordination as a priest, but whether or not I can become a priest depends on whether I am able to clear debts accrued through negative equity. I will keep you posted as to how that goes, and will, undoubtedly, write about life as a father-to-be and my training. It’s a pleasure to meet you..I hope you enjoy your stay.
I think that is more than enough of an introduction, time to get down to the business at hand.
ENTRY ONE
Today my wife is 16 weeks and one day pregnant with our first child. It took five years for her to become pregnant, and we had given up hope. We had looked into infertility treatment, into the options available and felt unable to go down that road. The creation of embryos outside the womb, and the “disposal” of those not required seemed a step too far. A step into a world where we would prefer to leave God firmly in charge. So we prayed the prayers of the Bible and cried out as so many have before for a child. When my wife fell pregnant someone asked her, “Was it a miracle?”
It’s a good question. To answer "yes" seems to suggest that those who recieve no apparent answer, or a "no", have somehow been neglected by God but to say "no", seems to deny God’s hand in it. When I sit and think about it, I am certain that every birth, every pregnancy, every breath we take is a miracle, a gift which should be cherished, which we should take with gratitude. Is my wife’s pregnancy more of a miracle than me being able to open my eyes this morning? The only difference seems to be that I don’t often pray that I will wake up in the morning. We are surrounded by miracles, we just fail to see them for what they are. So yes, my wife being pregnant is a mircle, and one that I will thank God for every day of my life.
I can not begin to express how happy I am that she is pregnent, that we will be parents, that I will be a father. I wonder what kind of a father I will be, and confess I am worried, worried about all the mistakes I am sure I will make. Even now we discuss in every detail how we would like to bring up our child, even now I feel a twinge of panic about my inability. Hence, again, I come back to the statement that I am a broken man, made of clay. I try to remind myself it's not through what I can do, through my abilities, my skills – my roguish good looks (well, ok, I don’t have roguish good looks!) that God will work, it's through the cracks, the acknowledgments of my incapability that God can work. Its only when I say, "okay God, this is in your hands" instead of trying to do it all myself that God really gets a chance to work.
One of the things I love about God is that He is a gentlemen, this is not to imply that God is exclusively male, but rather that God has manners. God gets involved in the areas of our life we open him up to, not in the areas we lock away. The areas we lock away or try to, that’s where we have the trouble..
My lunch break is reaching an end, so I will end it there. Its been a pleasure, see you tomorrow?
A Broken Man
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


10 comments:
When a new face appears upon by blog, I like to check it out. It was a deep pleasure to read your introduction, and your journal entry today.
I'm so delighted to meet you and will follow your blog journey, and your spiritual journey. I've been on my blog journey a year and a half, and my Spiritual Journey for many, many years.
My husband and I were in ministry together for 47 years, and retired just a few months ago to be near our children, grandchildren (9) and our new great grandson that you met on my blog.
God bless you and your wife, and your future ministry ~~ God will show you the way....I and I hope you'll come back to visit.
A Sister in the Lord
Wanda
Hello Brother! "Broken Man" is one of those "Christian-ese" phrases that we can identify one another with. I got a call today from someone who had listened to my voicemail message.... "Jesus loves you in over 29 areas of compatibility; pretty cool, huh?" She asked if I was a sister in Christ.
Congrats on the pregnancy. Enjoy the last half of pregnancy... it goes so quickly.
In His grip, Larisa
Well its a fantastic to find comments on my first ever post! Thank you for the warm welcome!
The Broken Man
http://theblogofabrokenman.blogspot.com/
I am not sure I have happened to come across your blog today. What a pleasant surprise. I too am broken (I however am a "broken Woman") I believe that God is drawn to broken people. It is in our "brokeness" that we can see His truth. God's truth falls into the broken places on our heart. I have spent a lot of time dwelling in darkness but God has so graciously showed me that we were created for light. If your light is willing to shine in the darkness then your light will shine forever. I am glad I have found you. Keep us posted on baby and congratulations. jenn
I think the Apostle Paul would have called himself a broken man and would have smiled at the same time. I think he would have then declared boldly, "His power is made perfect in my weakness, in my brokenness."
So glad to get to know you, brother!
Thanks for dropping by at my place. I will watch your journey with interest. I am one step ahead, so if I be of any help....
Dear Broken Man
How great to read your new blog. I am just finishing my first year of training for ordination and identify totally with everything you say. We are not all shiny-white church-types. I can't relate to all that at all - and have felt myself to be something of a freak at times because of it. However, when you are called, you are called, and you have to just surrender. God has need of people on the edge.
I have found that ordination training and the formation involved, the discomfort and the sense of dislocation and inadequacy that can accompany the whole process, is in fact the profoundest blessing. My spiritual journey is now taking me to places I could not have dreamt of before.
How beautiful for you to be expecting a child; it is such a great mystery. I have put you on my 'favourites' - I'm only anonymous because I don't want to start a blog myself, but I shall be following your story with interest. I wonder where you will do your training?
To Anonymous
Thank you for your reply, its great to hear that there are other people out their who are working through some of the same stuff. Approaching the whole ordination training thing I do feel very very unqualified. The idea of me making the classic statement “follow me to Christ” seems barking – I will get lost half way and end up in…well, somewhere unsavery instead. I can kind of cope with that mostly, work through it, but if someone is following me? Then again do people really follow the lead of priests anymore? I know that plan is that we follow God, we fix our eyes on Jesus and the rest takes care of it self, but I have far from twenty-twenty vision.
Thank you for being here, and thanks for introducing yourself.
As to where I shall be training.. I hope you won’t think I am rude if I don’t say. By having this bog anonymously I feel I can speak more freely than I could if I revealed my identify. Yes, okay, only one or two people will ever read this but none the less revealing to the masses that I am training as a vicar – and struggle with most Christians, that I can think of nowhere more dull to spend a Sunday morning than church…not sure how well that will go down.
I should qualify that I guess..I do believe; passionately believe, in a God who is incredible and huge and amazing. For me though, a chorus of "shine Jesus shine", and a 15min sermon that seems unrelated to the bible just doesn’t cut it. When I go to church I want to connect with the divine, I want to be drawn into the presence of God, not feel rather embarrassed that I am being asked to do the actions to a song..
If I could ask..that you pick a name to sign your anonymous comments…maybe anonymous Ordinand? That way if you do post comments, I will know who it is who is commenting – otherwise if I get more than one person posting anonymously things are going to get confusing really fast!
Thank you!
The Broken Man
When I started to blog I was very concerned about anonymity but I found it got in the way. A lot of my fellow students and one or two of the staff read my blog and it has never been a problem.
In fact it has been a positive help in opening up conversations.
Hey, anonymous I agree with B.M. Come and visit me too, then we can be the three musketeers of theological mysery!
Post a Comment