The long-suffering wife's hands and feet were itching yesterday. Big time. In an attempt to keep everything in the highest level of panic possible we refered to the medical books and diagnosed obstetric cholostatis, and the need for an induction. This resulted in a rush to hospital for a blood test, the result of which arrived a very leisurely 8 hours later. Hospitals are among the dullest places in the world. Blood tests seem okay; panic over.
With time to kill the wife dropped the bomb shell. She doesn’t want me to talk about post-boxes with our baby. Ever. She is somewhat concerned that I will explain why I don’t “do” postboxes and that this will be adopted by our child. Let me explain – first of all post boxes in England are red. They sit on the corner of roads, and are locked. Big red metal locked boxes. Into these boxes, people put cards, letters, cheques, communications, thoughts. Around collection time the metal box is full of thoughts, of half conversations, all just sitting there waiting. I don’t understand how someone can walk past one and not feel a little uneasy. The thought of metal red boxes, safes for people's ideas and hopes and dreams and fears – and gas bills, just sitting around innocently is a very odd thing. I feel a sense of awe to see people just walk past them as if it wasn’t strange. The thought of putting my thoughts in one, even protected by an envelope, of letting it sit there in the jumble of other people's ideas, is just to much for me.
Along with the fast approaching birth of our child is, of course, New Years Eve. More to the point, there is party on, an event, oh what an event, a London bash which makes me want to cry with joy, an invitation to a night of excess. So I think to myself – "why not go, it will be great." Okay I confess I won't be able to take the wife and baby – but I am sure she won't mind me going... and then I pause and I know she will, I know she will mind a lot and with that realisation I am deeply aware that a part of my life has ended as surely as another one is beginning.
Yours as ever
The Broken Man
Tuesday, 2 December 2008
Panic, Post boxes and Re-adjusting my life
Labels:
"long-suffering wife",
baby,
beginnings,
blood tests,
endings,
hospital,
ideas,
itching,
letters,
London,
medical,
obstetric cholostatis,
party,
post boxes,
re-adjustments
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


4 comments:
Glad everything was ok with the L.S.W:)
Glad LSW is ok and yes your life is SOOOOOOOOOO going to change!!!!!
Postboxes?????
So that is why you don't mail physical cards or letters. Very interesting. Thank you for that explanation.
Does it feel OK to use electronic transmissions (in which the messages are, I assure you, even more jumbled together) because the messages are in contact only briefy?
Never quite thought of it that way.
Love the insight
Post a Comment