I always thought of myself as a fairly solitary person - not really made for communal living. My family life was pretty isolated; we lived in the same house, but mostly tried to keep out of each others' way, and I loathed University, where I first had to live in Halls of Residence, and than in a large, noisy shared house.
I don't sleep well, you see. I have very sensitive hearing (seriously, I can hear the guy in the flat downstairs when he snores), and the merest chink of light wakes me up.
I did have some trepidation when I got married - not about the man I was marrying, but about the general logistics of living in such close proximity to someone else. I worried that the little things would drive me slowly insane, and I would end up hating the person I had once loved so much.
Broken Man's snoring *does* drive me insane, and often drives me to the (comparative) silence of the living room (once I have switched off the buzz of all the electrical equipment) but the fact that every night, he takes a spray to minimise the snoring, just so that I can sleep better, more than makes up for it.
It makes me so cross that he *still* smokes, even though our baby is due in less than three months, but I remember that in trying to quit, he has taken up knitting (briefly), used patches which gave him awful execema, and currently uses a slightly odd looking inhaler. How can I stay cross when he is trying so hard?
So, I'm getting used to not being a solitary person any more. This weekend is showing me just how much I have become accustomed to actually sharing my life with someone else, as opposed to simply sharing space with them.
This weekend I haven't woken at 2 or 3am, to remind Broken Man to come to bed. I haven't worried about having the TV on at night, to drown out the downstairs snoring. I haven't crept into the living room at 5am to sleep and I haven't checked the label of everything I eat for garlic (he's allergic). However, I have locked the front door before I go to sleep. I have (bizarrely) slept on my side of the bed, even though it's all available to me (although he'll tell you I don't do that when he is there!) and I have carefully avoided watching the TV programmes he might want to see when he gets home.
In short, I miss Broken Man. I know that 2 nights is not exactly a long time, and that many people have to live without their partners for much longer, but it came as a bit of a shock to me really. I miss Broken Man, and life is better when we're together.
Sorry for not posting the usual Saturday theology session - I am certainly not up to Broken Man's level, and will leave the theology to him!
Thanks for being such lovely readers during my "guest blog" slots!
Broken Man's Wife
Saturday, 27 September 2008
Living On My Own...
Labels:
Broken Man,
community,
home,
insanity,
living alone,
living together,
lonely,
love,
marriage,
solitary
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


9 comments:
Nicely put :) I don't like it when my hubby isn't home either.
I make sure the tv is on, which is the only way he can fall asleep, so that it gives me some comfort.
Hope you are feeling better with the pain you were experiencing with your ligaments stretching due to baby.
What a lovely post Mrs Broken Man.
I lived alone for most of my life and got married in April 07 at the ripe old age of 49! So imagine, but it has worked out quite well thus far.
Except for the smoking... But Mr. He Is (husband of FranIam) has not tried so hard as Broken Man) seems a bit recalcitrant about this matter.
But he is a good man and I love him and so we make our meek adjustments.
Thank you for sharing your life with us!
Ever consider a blog of your own? You could call it Long Suffering Wife. I think you're a good writer, and I like what you have to say. I don't sleep well when my husband isn't home either. Of course, it used to be hard to sleep when he WAS. Because he snores. Loudly. Praise God I found this handy dandy product, a mouth guard by Pure Sleep. (Google it now, thank me later) He also used to smoke but tried a prescription called Chantix and was Very successful. Good Luck & God Bless, Whitney
My hubby and I struggle when we are apart which is so funny because we struggle when we are together as well. Great post!
I so understand that! If his snoring is really bad he may need to be tested for sleep apnea...it is perfectly curable and deadly if not taken care of (i have sleep apnea) Bad snoring is one of the signs.
hugs Laura
Oh i hear every word!
My hubby is ex army so the six month tours were awful before children..then when the kids arrived and if Dad wasn't home i found myself sharing a bed made for 2 with 3 little children - who DO take up more room than 1 man!!
Just count down the hours till his back and snoring ;)
I still maintain you do need your own blog, great writing!
My husband and I have spent exactly one night apart in the two years we've been married, and I HATED it. Our dating relationship was long distance, and I didn't like being reminded of how it used to be when we only saw each other once or twice a month.
It's really nice to "meet" you! It is so interesting how we do not realize how we come to depend on our partners presence until they are not around. Thanks for the insightful post.
I wake myself up snoring!
Post a Comment