Birthdays are odd things, and I have been silent for a few days. Yesterday I went to the British Museum and spent my day looking at ancient artifacts – always a good way to feel younger – stand in front of something 3600 years old. It was all very nice -but - I am not sure it was magical. I was interested in the Museum, but I forget to put on a silly voice and do impressions of what the statues were saying to each other. I didn't take delight. I saw, I studied, I found things interesting. But I forget to be a child and just enjoy the magic.
The day got me thinking about the birthdays of my childhood and the birthdays of children I know today. Today, and in fact even when my younger brothers were “that age”, a move had been made towards bowling and films for parties. Now it seems not unusal for a whole gaggle of kids to head for the cinema or a fast food outlet to celebrate the passing of another year. The parties become increasingly competitive and who is and isn’t invited a cruel weapon in a war of friendships and who is “in” and who is “out”.
My family was not a rich one, and my mother wisely adopted what is now considered an old fashioned approach. We played musical chairs, and pass the parcel; we ate jelly and ice cream. Even at the age of 13-14. My mother carefully and cleverly spotted that retro held a lot of appeal,and as long as you knew it was a joke you allowed yourself to enjoy it.
I would far prefer to celebrate my child-to-be’s birthdays with childhood games than with tournaments on the wii or even the ever-popular bouncy castle. As ever, though, I wonder how much of what I wish for for my child is about what I wish for me. Maybe I will have a child who will want to spend their birthday staring at the stars, or ice skating, how much will I shape their desires and dreams, and how much will they change my views on the world?
In the next 6-9 weeks I am going to be a father, and as such I have resolved that it is important that I don’t grow up. It's important that I don’t become too responsible and let fun drain out of my life, because if I do, I might give the impression that being an adult means taking life seriously, that play is for young children, and that being an adult is about be respectable and dull. So for my next birthday, I will make sure I have time to skip, and I will have jelly and ice cream for tea.
Yours, older but no wiser,
The Broken Man
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


8 comments:
Many Happy Returns Old Man.
Well Happy Birthday! I liked that post, brought back alot of memories of my childhood. Hope all is going well and continues to do so!
Beautiful post! Happy Birthday!
Happy birthday broken Man.
Trust me, baby broken man will keep you young! He or she will have you jumping into piles of leaves, giggling at silly things that no one else gets, making snow angels, soaking the bathroom floor (long suffering one will love that) and you wont even realise you didn't grow up! Even when its time to chastise young one..and they look at you so cute and sweet..you will melt into laughter and forget to be old and grumpy...that side of you gets left in the maternity ward ;)
Happy Birthday Broken man!
Hope you have had a great one!
Happy birthday! I love that museum, what a nice way to spend the day, although I agree, doing voices would have livened it up :o)
Happy birthday, friend, and many happy returns.
Children's parties have gotten out of hand - gift bags are a requisite, and over the top cakes, themes, entertainment have made it a war contest to show who loves their child the most (or at least, who's most willing to bankrupt themselves to prove their love).
Here at Casa de Crazy, I don't do that foolery. I may or may not bake a cake, or I may or may not order one from the local grocery. There may be a gift...probably a book or art supplies.
My mother-in-law hates it - she wants me to have huge parties and piles of gifts. I want my son to know that I am delighted at the event of his birth, and that I love him too much to deprive him of food for a month so he can have a party for a day. I would rather our families contribute to his savings account than to his toy box.
It's a losing battle, but the kid seems to be happy with a bit of cake and an afternoon playing with his friends. Whew, bullet dodged.
I remember the simple days the best, the ones where I didn't feel pressured to perform like a dancing monkey in front of a lot of guests with expectations - rambling in the woods and throwing snowballs was always more my speed.
You'll do fine with the little one...love has a way of unclenching our hearts and children bring us back to our own childlike selves in the best ways (if we let them).
Shade and Sweetwater,
K
Happy Birthday!! I had jelly and ice cream for my birthday a few weeks ago.
Post a Comment