Tuesday, 2 September 2008

Baby Fears

I have been looking up stage of developments on the web...as one does... I am told that my baby now weighs 1.7 pounds, and is 14 inches long, retinas are forming and brain wave activity is detectable. Its incredible!

Okay, maybe more so if you are expecting a baby!

I will add a picture this evening – I note someone suggested I put a pic of me up as well.…on an anonymous blog this would seem difficult. I could put a pic of my stomach up as well as my wifes...i look fairly pregnant myself...but trust me...that, you don’t want to see!


The sister of one of my wife's collegues has just had a still birth. She was at about the same stage we are now. I don’t know how I would cope if that happened to us – it makes me want to cry just to think about it – what she must be going through. I can't begin to imagine – and a part of me doesn’t want to – I realise a part of me just doesn’t want to think about it


I am so scared; scared for my baby, scared for my wife, scared for the kind of father I am meant to be – as much as I joke about the perfect baby, perfect father bit – well I am sure you all know, I am scared stupid about getting it all wrong, and I am not sure I could bear losing either one of them.


Yours,


The Broken man

12 comments:

Laura ~Peach~ said...

sorry I forgot the anonymous part of your blog... I forget that most dont make their lives an open book... anyway I can so totally understand your fears I think EVERYONE has those fears at some level and at some point in their pregnancy and thankfully it does pass. Thoughts and prayers.

Angie said...

I remember those fears and questions so well. I just wanted to encourage you to keep surrendering them to our all sufficient Father who wants you to walk in peace. Your baby is fearfully and wonderfully made. Trust Him who knows all and will keep you in all things no matter how good or bad they may be. He is able to work all things together for good for those who love Him and are called according to His purpose. Praying for your friend.

Gill said...

Your fears are..wait for it...the same as every other decent man before you that ever became a Daddy!
As long as you LOVE your baby he or she WILL love you! There is no hard and fast way to raise a child..but communication with your wife is a given. Get both of you singing from the same song sheet the baby will know where it stands! Agree on ways to raise this little creation and compromise on parts you disagree on! But always, always talk!
Still births are sad, but they do happen. And people DO get past it all. We lost our first son at 22 weeks. But i now have a wonderful wonderful little chap who is 9 in a couple weeks and i wouldn't be without him, if we were meant to go through such immense pain and sadness to make up for the pure joy and pleasure this litle boy brings then it has been worth it.

Kate said...

It can be scary. I did a lot of deep breathing during my pregnancy.

Vixbil said...

I remember Hubby and I sharing the exact same fears when I was first pregnant, it had taken us a while to get there and there is so much anxiety to go along with it. Just keep praying and remember that pretty much everyone who is having a child has the same fears.
xx

Anonymous said...

I think all parents are scared stupid... and if they're not, they're just stupid. Bad things do happen, but Jeremiah 29:11 reminds us, promises us, "For I know the plans I have for you declares the Lord. Plans to prosper not to harm you. Plans for hope and a future." I ache for your friends loss. I know that the bible also says, All things work together for Good. I think the how and the why of that will only be answered when we stand before the throne of Grace. For now, just take the lesson shown you and draw closer to Jesus and closer to your wife. Trials of others strengthens us too. Blessings! ~Whitney

Anonymous said...

PS, you might want to send your friends over to the blog "Bring The Rain" at http://audreycaroline.blogspot.com/

I am humbled to the ground at how this family has overcome loss to the Glory of the Lord.

Kyddryn said...

Oh, I remember those days.

After he was born, I would creep into the Evil Genius' room to make sure he was still breathing - he was so very quiet when he slept, I couldn't be certain, even with the monitor on.

I was considered high risk - stupid doctors, I wasn't at all high risk - so they made sure to do every test and wait maximum time before telling me the results. I guess they thought one fares better when one is terrified. Mmm...not so much.

Meanwhile, your sense of sorrow for your wife's colleague is a good thing...and it's OK you don't want to dwell on it. You're only human, and we so often fear that to think a thing is to invite it to happen.

Your wife and little one will be just fine. They will scare the bejebus out of you on a regular basis with strange noises, colors, and effluvium, and they will be fine.

All is well, papa.

Shade and Sweetwater,
K

August said...

I showed this post to my husband, and that is exactly how he feels and how he felt when I was pregnant. I wish the best for all of you.

I've also added you to my blogroll. I like you more and more as I continue reading your posts. I'm also looking forward to what you've got to say about Palin.

MaBunny said...

my husband had those fears too, but me more so I believe. I actually went into a bit of depression because I did suffer some problems during my pregnancy. But everything worked out in the end, and we have a beautiful 9 yr old daughter and we couldn't be happier! Can't wait to see your newest pics of the wife. How is she feeling btw? is she still hurting?

Deanna said...

Knowing that your fears are normal doesn't make them any less does it? Flood yourself with Scripture. Put them on your mirrors, car dash, refrigerator doors... they are promises from God and perfect reminders for these times. God loves you and that baby infinitely more than you can imagine!

effective nancy said...

I came here from your comment... It's so hard when you're in the throes of pregnancy to remember that miscarriage and stillbirth are not contagious. I had three pregnancies before Tinkerbell, and every day I agonized over her health in utero. Just keep in mind that the longer the pregnancy goes on at this point, the better it's going; and be supportive of your wife, who may be more fearful than she's willing to admit. I remember being too scared of the possibilities to voice most of my concerns aloud.

Good luck, best wishes, and may you be up to your elbows in crappy nappies...I mean, rainbows and unicorns...just as the Christmas season envelops your family with warmth and love.