Standing at a family party with a cousin of the long suffering wife, I was asked what I am currently doing with my life. It's small talk, no one cares. I tell him I am training to be a priest. I quickly add; "it's okay, I don’t like Christians. Or church." I joke about the outfits that go with the job. It's a routine that I have become well accustomed to. I apologise, not for my faith, but the version of the chirstian faith I think most people think of when they hear the word "Christian". It all sounds so uncool, and I know that doesn’t matter, I know it's not what really counts. But I also believe, so deeply, and maybe so incorrectly that if you found out the person you were talking to was a Zen Master, or Rabbi, or .. well anything but a Christian you would think "wow, interesting" instead of "wow, I have to go now."
I wish I could find a way of explaning without the silly jokes that no-one laughs at and without the apologetic look, that I believe in a God who is incredible, who isn’t trapped in the pages of a book or chained to a church pew. Even the word "God" seems to lack something - it's musty and worn out. I don’t think I have come to terms with being a Christian yet – never mind becoming a priest one day. I am aware, really I am, that my spiel isn’t helping and that I need to find someway to be real – and I know some will say "you just need to be you, just need to tell it as it is, just need to....." but it's no little "just" – its not like there is a perfectly formed me somewhere I just need to let come out, it's (to go to the old images) like I am a stone covered in rubbish that needs grinding down till at last something more shapely is found, that deep within it all is the person I am meant to be but that it will take years – a life time under the hand of a crafts man to find the precious stone!
Oh, this entry is sickly. If I was reading this I would throw up.
Shudders
Yours as ever
In self disgust
The Broken Man
Monday, 6 October 2008
Apologetics
Labels:
apologetic,
Christian,
God,
jokes,
life,
priest,
Rabbi,
self disgust,
Zen Master
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


3 comments:
HAHA, I don't get queasy at hearing the word GOD - I wold probably laugh at your corny attempt at humor when trying to explain what 'you are doing with your life'. Sometimes humor only helps the one telling it! Hope you and the long-suffering wife are doing well;)
I like a priest with a sense of humour!! LOL
I have to say if i met someone who told me they were in training to be priest i would A: think it was you!! and B be more curious about you...not judgemental but wantimg to know more about you and your faith. Never make apologies..you will find the real broken man soon enough..and we will all say we knew him when!! ;)
I'm a Sunday School teacher, and I know EXACTLY what you mean!! I have tried very hard to NOT explain who I am, to people, and just let them see who I am. HOPING that they will see Him in me! Explanations just don't do justice to the Mighty, Magnificent Friend that I have found God to be.
Post a Comment