Friday, 3 October 2008

Training

I apologise for my lack of blogs of late; life has been somewhat frantic. As if my work load wasn't significant enough, I have been forced to endure two training courses which have attempted to explain to me the wonders of our new IT system at work. I realise I hide well my impatience, and that most readers of this blog would describe me as a placid, happy-go-lucky fellow who gets on with everyone, and is rarely annoyed. You will no doubt then be shocked to learn that my training course irritated me somewhat.

I accept the need to recive training on a new IT systems. It is one of life great miseries for sure, but I accept that, to tick the training box, I must be herded into an overheated room to be told why I can't use the programs I am used to and we must move to a "new, improved" version. What raises my blood pressure, however, is a “trainer” who says 26 times “this is self explainatory” and then goes on to explain something. A trainer who insists on reading every word on the screen for us...who painfully and laboriously makes us go through information which is of no interest to man or beast. I quote: “To send feedback, click on the feedback button. It's self explainatory really, but let me talk you through it. Where it says "name", put in your name……………” I could go on – he did. But I won't.

The one small pleasure I recive from suffering through this is the feedback form at the end; the opportunity to, in a few small boxes, attempt to sum up a world of dissatisfaction. It was then, with horror, that I noted that the people on either side of me had ticked all the "satisfactory" boxes on the feedback form. At one point the person next to me had actually fallen into a coma. It was touch-and-go whether he would survive, such were his boredom levels, yet he ticked "satisfactory". As we filed out, I calmly enquired as to why he had given positive feedback, whether he had indeed enjoyed the training. “Bloody terrible” he replied. SO WHY, OH WHY, SAY IT WAS GOOD?? "Well", he explained, "I’m English." Dear reader, it took all my will power not to poke his eyes out with my pencil. I guess that means I am not,after all, an English Gentlemen.

Yours,

Calmly

The Broken Man

8 comments:

Laura ~Peach~ said...

LOL I have often wondered why people do that! love the idea of poking his eyes out with the pencil LMAO you crack me up!

Abe said...

Tis a cruel world we live in - I agree. Well I think my comment could have been "I'll never get those two days back". Very funny. I do enjoy a good bit of sarcasm now and then ... don't you?

MotherT said...

Our bank is getting ready to start a new IT system. I have learned thru YEARS of experience that I really want to sign up for the VERY! LAST! CLASS! By that point the instructors are so bored with what they are teaching that they cut all of the unnecessary chatter. Besides, I tend to be VERY blunt in my comments, so it really works best for all concerned.

August said...

You crack me up! I've had my fair share of mind-numbing training days, but I'm always fairly frequently an instructor for awful boring training days. But I have a "bad" habit of skipping over the really irritating and useless stuff (I give my class an option by saying, "This is useless and irrelevant, but I'll go over it if you want me to" - they never do), so my classes almost always end early.

MaBunny said...

LOL, you should have slapped him back awake during his near coma scperience instead. i've been in similarly boring so called classes and have made sure they knew i was bored to death.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for a terrific laugh. My husband would have shook your hand and grabbed a pencil to help you with coma guy... he's not a big fan of that type of training either. Blessings, Whitney

Doorman-Priest said...

"I realise I hide well my impatience."

Why?

I find giving vent to it very satisfying.

Lily Girl said...

I work on the same university campus as my father and my boyfriend. I try to attend such trainings with one of them so we can sit together and make fun of what's going on. My mom works in the same county as us and I actually managed to attend a training with her and my dad (they are both management level and I'm not, so that was a definite fluke). I'm surprised the 3 of us didn't get thrown out of that one...
But I'm with you, trainings usually make me want to poke my eyes out, or those of my neighbor!