With a lack of other things to worry about right now (well other than essay deadlines, and debt) it seems that we have found ourselves in the baby direction game. For those who haven't played along before let me explain the basic rules.
For a “standard” delivery of a baby it is desirable to have the head come out first. If, for example, you tried to put the baby length wise…well it wouldn’t fit! Now babies move about a fair bit prior to birth, and some don’t get into the desirable position until a few hours before birth, however if they don’t get in the right position it’s a worry. And we do like to worry. As such, this opens up a whole world of fun in the form of "can you identify which way around the baby is?" Far more fun than any competition in which contestants get to guess how many sweeties are in a jam jar, this involves careful examination of your chosen pregnant lady's stomach, lots of proding and the occasional exclamantion of “hummm, that could be a foot…or hand…or maybe a head”. Prizes are awarded for both creativity in description of baby lumps, and sounding confident when identifying various body parts.
If you don’t have a pregnant lady of your own, may I suggest getting a doll, putting it in a black sack, filling the sack to bursting point with porridge, shaking the sack and then trying this identification process. To make the experience realistic I suggest that once in a while you get a friend to say “Ow” as you poke the sack, and to look panicked when you fail to declare confidently "yes, yes, its definitely pointing in the right direction!"
I wonder if I could make my fortune by making this as a game? Bonus points could be awarded for statements such as “its laying to the left so it must be a boy” or “you are carrying it low - got to be a girl”.
Do you think “Toys are Us” will be interested in the idea? Just remember – you knew me before I was a world renowned toy maker.
Yours as ever,
The Broken Man
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


5 comments:
Sounds like lot's of fun!
http://www.spinningbabies.com/
Even more entertainment to be had by watching the poor LSW engaging in baby-turning exercises... Give her my love and tell her to stop panicking and start wiggling those hips. ;)
thats what makes sonograms so much fun you can see quite clearly where the baby is... my second child evidently did not want to come out as she was 10 days late and facing backwards there for I was put into torture position, hands and knees, and had the absolute worst back labor as she finally gave in and turned around so that she would come out ...I feel the need to clarify... she was head down but her face was up not down and she had to literally spin around to make her exit... then being that she was 9 pounds 10 ounces and her head and chest circumfrence were 14 and 1/2 inches we still had a HORRID time (no drugs allowed) getting her to come out... but I am pleased to say she did and is nearly 17 years old now OH DEAR I AM OLD!!!!!!
so my friend hang in there this too shall pass and I say why not try the game LOL who knows it might be the answer to all debt issues :)
Lol after two persistantly OP labours, I have to say that labouring on a bed is torture position, and hands and knees is blissful! I never had two regular predictable timable contractions in the whole of our second labour - probably a good thing as Morgan would have arrived in 20 minutes flat if she'd been the "right" way around.
I'd rather deliver breech this time than have another back to back baby.
Entertainment by adrenaline rush, hm? I'll bet you love watching horror movies, too...
If it's any consolation, as the baby gets bigger and the accomodations become more crowded, they usually get into the best position. (Not always, as Laura and Arwen prove, but usually!)
Post a Comment