Tuesday, 22 July 2008

All that Glistens isn’t Gold

I have hesitated in writing this blog entry, and for that I apologise; I realise I was concerned about offending, but I feel that I would be doing a disservice to you if I didn’t bring this up..

Todd Bentley has come to the UK and has set up shop. For those who don’t know, he is an American preacher, who among other things, claims to have meet with an Angel called Emma, and to have spoken with St Paul. I am not going to specifically address his teaching as many have already done to. With his work in the UK has come again the claim that people have received gold teeth from God. This has made the front page of some local newspapers, and so it is this area I want to talk about.

I am a Charismatic Christian; by this I mean that I believe that the Holy Spirit is at work in the world today, and miracles happen today, and did not come to an end with the close of the New Testament.

I am also a sceptic. In my younger years I was involved in a wide variety of religions, and was a palm reader. I am also an illusionist. This combination has made me acutely aware of the way in which people can be made to believe something that is not true.

We are all susceptible to deception, to the influences of a good sales patter at our local retail store, to a convincing sob story from a con man. When we are told that God is doing something incredible we desperately want to believe it, to be a part of it, and so when people hear that God is giving people gold fillings, some suspend disbelief. To doubt seems to be showing a lack of faith, and so sometimes we don’t always ask the questions we should.

So, what is my problem with God providing people with gold fillings? My first difficulty lays in my knowledge of my own mouth. I have no idea how many fillings I have got. I have had a fair few, but couldn’t tell which teeth they are on, and I haven’t spent any time at all staring at my fillings.

This means that if someone told me tomorrow that God had given me a filling I would have difficulty in knowing whether this was the case, or whether it was a pre-existing filling. The next difficult I have is that most torches use bulbs that have a yellow light. If I was to shine one into my mouth, a silver coloured filling could easily look gold. If, however, knowing I have a number of fillings, I was to shine a torch into my mouth and find that I had no fillings at all, and my teeth were in perfect health, this would be astounding.

As I look at the biblical accounts of healings I find, for example, Jesus healing a lame man, or a blind man – in each case of a healing I find that God has repaired the body.

I can not find an example of God healing someone by providing a prosthetic limb. I find it hard to believe that the blind man was given metal eyes. For me it just wouldn’t make sense. If God, in designing humans, felt that we should have gold teeth, surely we would have been created with them? If, then, God heals someone who needs a filling, surely that healing would take the form of the cavity being replaced by the type of teeth we were designed with, not with a gold implant? If we were asked to believe that someone had been healed by being given a metal, or, for that matter, a wooden arm, we would struggle to see this as a miracle carried out by God, so why are people so ready to believe that God is providing people with fillings, gold or otherwise?

For me, the focus on such things removes our focus from God. I believe the most incredible, miraculous, mind blowing thing is that we have a God who loves us, that we are created beings and that we are invited to enter into a relationship with God. I find it amazing that, through Jesus, we can approach God. That is mind blowing. Gold teeth? Sorry, it just doesn’t get me excited.

9 comments:

Cherdecor said...

I so agree with you on this one! We are sometimes more concerned with healing than with knowing God. That is a hard one especially when one suffers a lot.

Fran said...

This is something that we have discussed a lot at our church- not this guy specifically, but the whole miracle making business.


What this boils down to in many ways is this... Do we want Jesus to heal us or not?

It is easy to want to see the miracle and to miss or avoid who and what the miracle points us to.

Fran said...

Check this out.

Kate said...

It seems so far from what a relationship with God is supposed to be that I can only look at these types of people with the same sort of wonder that I have when I see a magic trick.

The Broken Man said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUTCWLoD4-4

See above for a link of Todd ministry, as I say there is a lot of this about, however I think most people can see this for what is it, or rather I did belive that until I saw it making the front page of my local newspaper.

Wanda said...

I also agree with you!

Paul said "I want to KNOW CHRIST and the power of His resurrection!!

That's where the focus should be, in KNOWING Christ.

Good Post Broken Man.

Doorman-Priest said...

He met an angel called Emma? Oh please!

Anyway, my bete-noir is an American called Benny Hinn. I use a video of one of his healing rallies as a teaching aid.

Cynical and exploitative as I am convinced it all is, and while it may be a big-time money-making opportunity, it does not stop the Spirit of God working.

It just bothers me that these folk seem to be unaccountable (this side of the grave) for their actions. The BBC tried to follow up the medical histories of these alleged miracles but to no avail. Yet so many Christians are hungry for this sort of circus that their critical faculties seem to be put on hold.

There, that's got it offmy chest.

J said...

Ah Todd Bentley - Broken Man, you have opened a can of blogging worms!

When it comes down to it, we won't be judged on our theology, or need correct theology in order for God to empower us for miracles. Look at Peter, God used him to heal people when he still beleived that you had to follow The Law to be saved.

We will also not be judged on our personality, and whether we shout BAM when we pray for people. Samson was a most disagreeable fellow, but is listed as a Hero of Faith in Hebrews 11.

We will be judged on our character, and "the deeds done in the body, whether good or bad" (2Cor5;10), and that will be the proof of the pudding when it comes to Todd 'BAM' Bentley.

If God is in this, then I want a slice. If God is pouring out healings, then I want a part. I can leave the ranting, the tatoos, the dodgy theology, and the shouting, but if God want to perform a miracle, then that is what I want too.

On a wierder note, I was very very nearly on a residential training course in B'Ham when Todd was there, and was planning to turn up to see it for myself.

J

The Broken Man said...

Just to let you know I have started a new post "The Proof is in the Pudding" to respond to your coments J