Thursday, 17 July 2008

The Past

I realise some of my readers are from America, and so, perhaps with a prejudiced view of American theology, I have been a little remise in discussing my past. Now, I know you might think, “well, we have been told about your past, that’s fine” – but there is more, much more, and I want to write at least a little about it so that when the desire to make passing references to things in the past comes up, I know you already have the background.

I feel I need to give this some kind of an introduction, which possibly displays my nervousness. If people live a terrible life before they become Christians, then have a miraculous conversion, we rush them to the front of the church to give testimony. There seems to be nothing we love more than a good transformation story. In my life things have not been so simple. I relate better to Paul saying “the good I want to do, that I don’t do! The bad I don’t want to do, that I do.”

In my early life; well, from the age of 16,I had a lot of sexual partners, sometimes at the same time. Some of them were already involved with other people. At 18 I got married, and continued to engage in sexual activity with other people, even with groups of people, as did my wife. I was by this time already a Christian, in the sense that I had made a commitment to God, albeit a shaky one that, for the most part, I did not put into practice. Three years into my marriage I got a phone call from someone I had been seeing telling me that they were pregnant with my child.

I woke my wife and told her, and the following day she attempted to take her own life, before leaving me and moving to London. It was at this point that my life really turned around. I might go into more details at some later point, but suffice to say that a light went on in my life, and changes began to take place. A few months later she moved back in and we started trying to rebuild our marriage. My wife asked that I had nothing to do with my child; something that broke my heart in two.

Fast forward three years, and I was still on “the straight and narrow” but my brother had just died of a heroin overdose and my wife left me for another man.

I realise that I am only giving you snap shots, snippets; but I can’t bring myself to go into all the detail right now.

With my marriage over I was able to have some brief contact with my daughter, but my child’s mother got into another new relationship and again said she didn’t want me involved in my child’s life.

My current marriage is my second marriage.

Fast forward to six months ago: My 10 years old daughter has finally been told that I am her father, and I can, at last, have access. Fast forward another 3 months and a DNA test reveals she is not my daughter after all.

For some my past disqualifies me from ministry; the biblical passage that says a leader should have “but one wife” is often not taken (as I take it) as a reference to polygamy, but as a bar from those who have been divorced and remarried entering into a position of leadership.

I am not proud of my past, and while there is much I wish I could undo, I can not change it. The experiences I have had have formed me, and broken me in more ways than I can begin to describe. I share them here in the hope that you will understand a little of where I have come from. I believe that my past is forgiven, that on the cross, the person I have been was dealt with, paid for in full. So, why bring it up now? Well, as I have noticed that this blog has attracted a few more readers since it started, it occurred to me that some of you may have issues with my past, and I don’t want us to go too far down this road together, and me to then say something which lets out a bit of my past, and for you to feel I have been stringing you along; that if you had know my past you would not have wanted to know me and that you feel as if I have hoodwinked you. So there it is.

Yours as ever,

The Broken Man

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Someone once observed that the Apostle Paul would never have been accepted as an leader in many of our churches. He stirred up riots everywhere he went, he had a prison record, he constantly flitted about from one ministry to the next, he butted heads with St. Peter and fellow missionaries Barnabas and John Mark.

If you judge him "by the book," he doesn't appear to measure up. And I haven't even mentioned his past, violent persecution of the nascent Church.

Jesus had other disciples who were zealots, which may again imply a violent past.

Whether or not you're qualified to be a priest is for your denomination to decide. Whatever you may share in the blogosphere, readers still don't know you personally. And that's the only way to make a proper evaluation of someone's fitness for ministry.

I just thought I would throw that out there, in case someone does express disapproval of your past. Grace to you, and peace.

arwen_tiw said...

Brokenman, your story could be that of my husband - give or take a few years and one marriage. No matter where you have been, what you have done, God has been holding onto you for a reason.

Wanda said...

Broken Man ~~ God uses broken men and broken vessels ~~ I think the key is not where you've been, but where you are and where you are going.
It sounds like you have your theology correct ~~ all sin is nailed to the cross ~~ You've been forgiven. I think there is a learning time between the old life and the new start....There is ministry ahead for you.

Use your past mistakes and experiences to reach out and minister to others.

You Sister in Christ and fellow Sinner Saved by Grace!!!

KGMom said...

Wow--that's quite a journey. I suspect the emotional roller coaster of your daughter/not your daughter must have been wrenching.
And of course a marriage ending is never an easy thing.
On a theological note--David is an apt person to think of--called a man of God, yet he lived a troubled life indeed. God works in most mysterious ways.
I do have a curiosity question--you have a link for A Climenhaga Home. How did you come by that link? I ask, because that is my brother's blog!

Doorman-Priest said...

How can a past - any past, discount someone from ministry? That would suggest there is no change in the Spirit.

I don't think your story is so unusual: either in its past or its present.

J said...

Wowzers. That is some testimony. I am so glad God took hold of you.

J

Samantha said...

You commented on my blog (thank you for that, by the way), and I thought I would respond to this post of yours.

I have to say that I admire your honesty. It's inspiring and refreshing, in a world where people tend to hold back.

Blessings from Michigan :D
Sam

The Broken Man said...

Thank you all so much for your kind comments and words, I guess my timidness is because i have had bad reactionsf rom christians inthe past (never non-christians). In answer to the question about my church denominations take on it, I went through a year long process of interviews with me, my wife, friends, the person who married us, my first wife, friends of my first wife etc, at the end of which my bishop was happy and asked the archbishop of Cantubury for permission for me to go through the selection process, this he granted. As I have suffered from depression I then had to go to see a psyitrist for a mental evaluation. It was only aftr all that was done, that i was able to go for selection!

TeacherMommy said...

We all have dark stuff in our past and probably times in our lives now where we still struggle. But it's more important the choices you make every day.

To me I don't see being "saved" as a one time deal, it's an ongoing process of purification and "dying to self". You have to make that choice every day, not just once, and keep making it.

So it doesn't really matter where you've been. God doesn't remember it, so why should anyone. It matters that you are following Jesus now.