I realise by now, dear readers (both of you), that you have come to terms with my wife’s pregnancy. That makes it sound like a terrible illness or affliction, which I know its not, and I am very pleased. It was just that, sitting on the bed the other day and talking with my wife as she got ready for bed (still after six years marriage to her I find it incredible that I can *try* to hold a normal conversation as she takes her clothes of!) a thought suddenly occurred to me. “WOW, look at the bump!!! You’re pregnant, you are.”
I mean, seriously! She has a baby inside her; more to the point, my baby. There is a human growing inside her stomach. It’s getting bigger. Of course, I try and remain casual about this, show that I am someone who takes these things in my stride. I drop the internal “WOW” and just say “You, you’re pregnant, you are”. Eloquently put, I think you will agree, displaying all my hopes, my dreams, and my deep love all in that simple statement.
Clearly, my wife, with a gift for interpretation, was able to get all this from that one sentence, as she responded with a little sigh (of joy at being married to such a wonderful man, I suspect), “Yes dear, I am pregnant. Do you want a cup of tea?” Clearly, a sentence which conveys the sentiment, “I am so pleased you love me, and yes I share those hopes and dreams, I love you so much and am so pleased we are having this child.”
Yours ever.
The Broken Man
Monday, 21 July 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


4 comments:
Broken Man, this is such a great post...thank you for sharing yourself and your wife in this way. I've never been pregnant, nor will I ever be, as I'm past child-bearing age, so I won't ever know how it feels, and that's OK. But with wonderful humor and wit, you share sentiments, and that I can relate to!
I love getting into the male brain....I was pregnant four times, and now I know what my husband was thinking as I undressed for bed.
I think I even recall the cup of tea.
Delightful post ((smile))
I wouldnt get to far in Wanda! Its not a pretty place! Thanks Christina
What great news! Scary yes- but isn't that usually the case with great things?
Clearly, just from reading your profile, I know that you already knew that!
Thanks for stopping by my blog today and I shall return here.
About 18 years ago I took a trip, I was a person of faith but of no practice and with ZERO desire to return to my Catholic roots.
Well that trip changed everything and here I am 18 years on (after having been gone from it for 18 years)dissenting, making noises and praising God.
Funny, that.
Anyway, glad to meet you and good wishes and prayers!
Post a Comment