My work is piled up at present and I have deadlines I have to meet. I was pretty sure that this was not something too serious – yet if I am feeling unwell, of course I want a hand to hold. I can not afford time off work, however, not an issue of money – although this is always an issue – but rather an issue of time. The deadline does not stop because I do for a few hours. What if, however, I don’t go? What if they say that actually something is seriously wrong and I am not there with her to support her? I decide that I will pop home on my lunch break and see how she is.
Come lunch time, the doctor has advised her to go to the maternity hospital just for a check up. Both my wife and I feel that this is completely unnecessary. She was aware of the baby moving and was sure it wasn’t pregnancy related – what scared her was the possibility of fainting alone at home. I suspect it was the doctor covering her back. Nonetheless I drive home, pick up my wife and head for hospital. By now my wife is feeling much better. A two hour wait and we are seen by our lovely midwife who is able to confirm everything is fine, and is just as confused as we are about why we are there!
I pick up a coffee and head back to work – with the plan being that my wife will then take the car home with her and pick us up a few hours later from work (“us” being me, and my assistant who I drive into work).
By this time I am very keen to get back to my deadlines, and am perhaps driving slightly faster than I should be. My wife says to me “40” and I assume she is pointing out that there is a speed camera coming up, so begin to slow down, realising too late that I have just passed a speed camera – the ticket and the fine will be on its way. I am now feeling pretty miserable. Of course, this means I am not paying proper attention to the road and nearly plow into the back of someone a few metres up the road. As I am drinking a coffee at the time I manage to cover myself with it, as I slam on the brakes (I never said I should be allowed to drive a car!).
I finally get back to work at 4pm covered in coffee and feeling sorry for myself. My wife picks my and assistant up at 6.45pm. We had arranged to pick up a chair from freecycle (check it out for getting rid of old junk and getting stuff for free!!) so I had borrowed a work van. We now had to drive for 20 mins, pick up the seat, drive 30mins back to ours, 30 mins back to work, drop the van back at work so it can be used at 7am today, pick up my car and drive home again. We still needed to fit in eating, and helping the assistant prepare a talk for a youth camp he is going on in a few days time.
I finally crawled into bed at quarter past silly o’clock and should have been feeling pretty miserable…and would have been…if it wasn’t for the fact that now dominating my bedroom is a glorious beaten up chesterfield arm chair. ;o)
Yours as ever
The Broken Man


14 comments:
Ugh all sympathy for the Long-suffering Wife. I have hyperemesis which means at any point in pregnancy, and often for the majority of it, I can't keep anything down - get dehydrated, black out, the lot.
Grapefruit or peppermint essential oils are good for when feeling reeeally sicky. Couldn't have been food poisonning or something? I'm sure I'm more prone to getting ill in general when pregnant because my immune system is otherwise engaged... I hope she isn't feeling ill for long.
Sarah
Good Morning! Thank you for your comments on my blog post. Hope your wife is feeling better soon and also that soon, you get caught up a bit on your sleep. I enjoy your blog and will back to visit.
Congratulations on the baby! That's amazing. Sorry your wife is feeling bad, hope she gets better! I hope your days get better, too. I have never heard of speed cameras.. that's a frightening prospect! I wonder if they will have these over here in America eventually...
Thanks for stopping by my blog & leaving some advice! I appreciate it, and hope you come back!
What a memory. Your post brings lots of them back.
We have five and three of them are half a century old or older.
Abraham Lincoln
—Brookville Daily Photo
What a day! I'm glad your wife is ok and feeling better.
I'm glad everything was ok with your wife and baby. I got the flu really bad when I was pregnant with my son and my dr. sent me to the hospital too. Everything was fine, like your I think she was covering her back. Better safe than sorry though! That is neat about the chair!
This was entertaining, reading about your woes and foibles. Always nice to read it when it happens to someone else. Glad none of it turned into serious pain or misery. And what a great ending, it was all worthwhile.
You have a nice blog, and wow, how interesting you going into the priesthood after being an atheist. It would be great to sit and talk.
Thanks for visiting 'huffing.'
Isn't that the way it always goes? It seems that no matter what ails you, walking through the hospital doors cures you.
That chair looks comfortable!
Sweet old chair...my sister has done freecycle...I've gotta check it out. Hope your wife is feeling better!
What a special old chesterfield chair. Haven't seen one in years.
Glad your wife is doing better than you!!
Life really gets in the way of living doesn't it??
Thank you all for your lovely comments - my wife is now feeling fine again and is back at work.
She says thanks too.
The Broken Man
Oops, not sure why I have suddenly become anonymous! :)
The Broken man
The first child is a trying experience for both parents but once born, the joy overcomes all obstacles. My blessings to you both to overcome the anxiety of new mother pains.
Love the chair and the COLOUR!
Oh what a 'fly-around' day. Thanks for your comment on my blog - pleased to meet you.
Love this post - about your ordinary day and how it seems one thing goes wrong then everything else following often goes wrong too. The chair was definitely worth it!
Post a Comment