The long suffering wife and I have begun the long discussions about baby transportation devices. Any men out there reading this will immediately have a certain picture in their minds – an all terrain buggy, with alloy wheels, suspension, and, if possible, a turbo button. This is like buying a car, just very slightly cheaper. Of course, being of a financially limited disposition actually this is more a matter of what pushchairs other friends have brought and are now prepared to give us…until, of course, slings were mentioned.......
Apparently the “king” of slings is the Didymus sling and this allows close contact between mother and baby etc. Well, okay, that’s fine, and I can wear it too and that’s all good. So £20? £30? No. £70 for a piece of fabric. Don’t get me wrong, a piece of fabric with buckles, with clever attachments, I could understand, but no, this is just a pice of fabric with instructions on how to tie it (apparently a table cloth is NOT the same thing - I fail to understand why!).
Dear reader I am not the most co-ordinated of people. I change my shirt a couple of times a day having spilt food down it. The idea of strapping a child to my front seems a little foolhardy at best. To make matters worse, you have to tie the sling thing. The knot slips and the baby's a goner! After much persuasion, and the concession that I can have a preformed sling thing, it has been agreed, no pushchair. Well, at least I can be involved in choosing a cot…well, no, actually…co-sleeping. Now I was not a fan of this idea at all. The likelihood of me rolling over onto and crushing it seems high! However, 15 journal articles later and it seems that this is indeed the best way to go…
So thoughts and experiences of it…and men out there having gone through this game?
Yours as Always,
The Broken Man
Friday, 11 July 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


11 comments:
Do not under ANY circumstances buy a buckle/clip thing. They are a total waste of money (said by someone who owns a Didymos).
The reason a Didymos is so much more expensive is primarily that the fabric is specially woven for the purpose, is grippier for tying and softer for snuggling and overall more comfortable on your shoulders for wearing. Plus, don't buy them new - you could get a used on for not much more than £30 if you know where to look. ;)
Don't try to understand why a table cloth wouldn't be the same either because basically IT IS! Use a table cloth! Use a bedsheet! Use a bit of cheap polycotton off the market! All are a million times more comfortable than a buckle carrier or any kind (honestly).
Hubby says his favorite sling by far is a wrap, and that you'll be the coolest Daddy on the block in a unique home made one. ;) He adds, "Real Men Wear Babies."
Not only was that "of and kind" rather than "or any kind" but I also realised belatedly that I went OTT on punctuation. Apologies. I'm a sling advisor and I make lots of different kinds of carrier myself. ;)
ARGH what on Earth is wrong with my typing today? (Going away now to seek comfort in back wrapping the baby...)
Hi Broken man
You came to my site..thanks!
I obviously am not a man, and also my youngest child is 7, so I haven't done the baby thing in a little while BUT...here is my two cents worth.(or should I say L2 worth:)
I am not sure which sling you are talking about, but I found them all to be really UNcomfortable.
I found it just as good, and much cheaper, just to hold the baby with my arms!
I found that a back pack was nice when we went for walks. That way the baby can see the world and the weight on your back is easier than slinging it around from shoulder to hip.
Your baby will feel close to you as long as they feel your touch daily, no matter if it is in the front in a sling, on your back in a backpack or just the old fashioned way used for hundreds of year by our Mothers, Grandmothers and more...in your arms!
What I found with both of my children is that whatever you decide to do will be the best. They just need your love!
(actually, arwen's HUSBAND is now in control of the keyboard lol)
Hi, baby wearing is the best way to go, you get to have constant contact with your child and helps you to bond more with yuor child, very important.
i have a line that i use here "real man wear babies"
Co sleeping is great especially if your wife is breastfeeding (you dont need to move at all :-) ) but more then that your bonding, your baby can smell you and is aware of your presence and feels safe, you will not squash the child, how many times have you fallen out of bed? you know where the edge is, you know where the child is.
I hope this has been some help, feel free to contact me again if you like, im more then happy to share my experiences and offer any help and tips i can.
campervan man.
Arwen and Caperman you are a star, Thank you!!Have cut down a curtain and told the wife that it is the sling and will be fine..if she pops around with an Axe say i said hi..ballerina if she complains i will suggest holding it!
I never did get the hang of my sling. Some women are able to use it like an extra appendage, but it just made my sweaty little, chubby little boys hot and cranky! They were both walking by 9 1/2 months anyway, and much preferred to be mobile on their own. Of course, that presented with a whole new set of problems...
Curtain fabric is actually what I recommend for making slings ;) as long as you can see some light through the weave when you hold it up to the sun. About 4.5-5m long by 25-40cm wide for a regular wrap.
When my husband and I had our son we use the frount back pack mainly my husband use it more that me but I love it our hands where free and we could see his cute face looking at the world my husband love it me however as a women I would of use the one too the side for when he is just a new born just to be close too me but I didn't think it would hold up at the time anyways they are only little for a small while and the grow very fast.marina :)
Why don't you look on Ebay ?
We call them Snugglies here in Canada - (or one of the names)
they are made so well. I bet you'll get one for a great price.
We used them (especially Dad) when
our son was young - they went everywhere in the Snuggly.
Pardon my ignorance, but how can
you become a Priest if you are married ?
Sincerely,
Kate in Canada
Kate,
I will have a look but cant afford anything this month, on the priest front - catholic priests are required to be single. I am part of the Anglican Church (Epispicoal Church) and so being married is fine. The bible in fact specifically says that people in leadership can be married.
(tips hat)
Post a Comment