A lot of the time I am ashamed to be a Christian. I know that is a shocking statement to make, as someone who is hoping to be a priest one day, but let me explain. When I speak to people about God they have an impression of the church as being full of hypocrites, as a place where the most judgmental people in society gather. They see Christians as irrelevant, as worshiping a long since dead god. I believe in a God who is transforming, who is loving, who is so incredibly powerful and Holy that we can’t begin to comprehend it.
A sense of dread grips me every time I see a Christian on TV. Are they going to say something ridiculous? Are they going to do yet more damage to how people see God? So I sat uncomfortably in my seat last night when a vicar appeared on my TV screen to talk about problem they had in Birmingham when a new Mosque had opened, and how lots of people had objected violently. I thought; “here is a Vicar who is going to add fuel to the fire”, but I was wrong. She spoke calmly, she spoke about the fears that people have of Muslim terrorism, and that the desire of a group of people to pray should be supported. Nothing she said compromised the Gospel; she did not say that she believed that Islamic beliefs are correct, but she did say that we should show love to everyone. Hearing her speak made me cry; cry that there are people out there who are displaying Christ’s love, who care passionately about justice and who care about people of every faith and none.
May God bless her and her work.
The Broken Man
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


13 comments:
Hello! Thank you for stopping by to visit my blog. I read your posts with interest. I understand your apprehension when Christians come on and say things that make Christianity look bad. But rather than being ashamed of the Gospel and ashamed of Christianity, I just feel sad for those people who just don't get it. I cannot be ashamed of the One who gave His life for mine.. I love Him so much! I just wish others could understand how much He loves them, too. I will be watching your blog with interest! God bless you in your studies! The more you study the Bible, the closer you draw to Him!
Hi! Nice to meet you. Thanks for visiting and commenting. I have scrolled down several pages of your posts and find an interesting blog.
People are certainly put off Christianity by what they see in the church and Christians many times.
I do believe though that there are more and more spirit filled Christians whose only desire is to touch those around them with the life of Jesus within them. People are looking for a life that demonstrates their faith and not religion.
Congrats. on iminent Fatherhood and your exam marks. Blessings.
Broken Man--thanks too for stopping by my place.
Looks like you are off to a running start in blogging.
Your observations about Christianity resonate with me. I suspect that many people who call themselves Christian are far more likely exhibiting CULTURAL preferences they have. They probably have little to no understanding of the Gospel.
Are you my twin separated at birth?
Only you do seem to reflect my attitudes and views.
Thanks for stopping by my blog. I was raised Catholic, was married to a Jewish man and now find myself seeking the right place of worship.
I find myself thinking lately how strong a presence God has in my life. At some point in my early 20s, I had lost my faith. Then, years later, He made himself known again. I agree that some Christians do/say things that make Christianity look bad. I think we all need to find our own unique way to honor God.
You have a great blog and I will be back to visit often.
Lol another thanks for stopping by!
I totally agree that Christians can give God a bad name, but I'm also quite capable of calling my faith into question by my inconsiderate words. I might sigh at some of the things I hear, but not half as much as I sigh at myself when I realise what a poor witness I can be...
I understand what you are trying to say! Respect and love is so important and all that we do. Wisdom is so needed!
Thanks for stopping by mine too and I am glad you are ok!!
Hello, Broken Man...I love the name of your blog, first of all - I think a title like that will draw people to it (your blog).
I hear it said that much of the Church is off-base. I myself notice, and have for a long time, that alot of sermons amd messages are not about Jesus, or His shed blood. Or the New Covenant. I think I feel more of a frustration than anything else about that.
Glad I found your blog.
thanks for stopping by and posting at least you have you wife to check your grammer I have know one just spell check LOL!! but that made me feel better about my writing I really needed to hear that thank you.I know I don't put all the titles I ahve write down but if you go to day 4-30-08 I talk about how I came to Christ and how the apostel creek really in packed my life. the man on the cross I just love that is all I knew. I think you studing theloghy,judaism is really neat I would love to do that too! please share what you learn and congrats on you and your wife you will love the pregancy and when the baby is born your life will change forever,I think with evething that is going on in the world Christ really wants us to be set apart and if we have to die to our selfs but if he is going to rule our hearts we must humbles ourselfs God keeps showing me these more and more with all these different new age relgions coming up we must know the the really now our bible,ok I have talk too much and I don't have spell check.marina
Thanks for your comment on my blog! I totally support you and your wife's decision to have a natural birth. Its somewhat difficult here in the US too. Insurance will cover very few midwives and those that are covered are over-medicalized.
I don't know how easy it would be to get a hold of a copy, but I'd highly recommend you guys watching a documentary called The Business of Being Born (see a trailer at http://www.thebusinessofbeingborn.com/)
Lots of good info there!
doorman - if so our mothers have a lot of explaining to do.
She sounds like a wonderful Vicar. We need more people like her with her loving views.
Thanks for stopping by my blog.
You must be very young in years but admire your intention. Remember, Christians are sinners the same way everyone else is - the only difference is that we are forgiven.
Post a Comment