There are some questions which I am asked on a fairly regular basis, and often the answers are buried in other posts. My apologies if you have been reading for some time and all ready know the information below, but I thought it would be worth doing a recap for those who are new here. I will put a link up to this post in the “about me” section so new people can find this post if they so desire! If there are other regular questions that come up I will add the answers to this post .
Why do you call yourself the Broken Man?
Depending on the day I have a different answer:
I am a Broken Man because of the experiences I have gone through. My parents divorced when I was 9, my father died when I was 16, my older brother died of a heroin overdoes, and I am on my second marriage. All of this has contributed, and much more beside.
I am the Broken Man, because I am broke; I owe, I owe, it's off to work I go.
I am the Broken man, because my body aches; I dropped a TV on my head and things haven't been right since.
I am a broken man because, to quote Morrissey, "the things I have seen could turn a good man bad". And I never was much of a good man.
I am a broken man because I suffer from depression. I have up days, and down days. On down days I want to drive my car into a brick wall and it feels like nothing will ever be okay.
I am the Broken Man, because I have spent a long time living in the dark – however – in the darkness I have found a light, a voice in the deafening silence, that calls to me, and a God who works through my brokenness, and holds the pieces together.
How did I find your blog?
When I am bored I start trawling through blogs, and it seems very rude to me to go into someone’s house without at least saying "hello". Hence, I left you a comment. I found you by putting key words into a blog search, or by following a comment you posted somewhere else, or by finding you on a blog roll of someone else, but I have a very bad memory and it is very unlikely I will now remember which route I took to your blog.
When is the baby due?
December. The wife and I are not too convinced about hospital predicted due dates – for first babies the studies we have looked at suggest that 42 weeks is more normal than 40, and when you tell people your due date they start asking lots of questions near the due date, like – "is it here yet?" So I prefer to just say “December”.
What branch of Christianity are you going to be a priest in?
I am training for ordination in the Church of England, which is an Anglican Church. I describe myself as a Christian (when I must), but rarely by denomination, as I tend to think denomination isn’t that important. Having said that, I like the way that theology is “done” in the Anglican church and hence this is where I am.
Why are you anonymous – how anonymous are you?
By being anonymous I feel I can say things I couldn’t if I wasn’t. For example – I can be rude about my church without offending anyone. I realise I am not incredibly anonymous and it would be very easy for someone with a burning desire to find out who I am to identify me, but I would prefer it this blog isn’t the first thing that someone finds if they put my name into Google.
How did you become a Christian?
This is a question I tend to avoid, as in honesty it’s a long and complex story, involving, much like the people of Israel in the Hebrew Bible account, following God for a while, and then falling away, before returning a little later. There is not a clear break where I can give you a date on which I became a Christian, rather there were many times when I made commitments which I then fell away from. The primary place that got me interested though was a youth discussion group which I attended with the express intention of disproving the existence of God. The thing that turned me off Christianity the most was those Christians who said that there were some things you shouldn’t ask questions about and just had to accept. The thing that impressed me the most was Christians who, no matter how much they disapproved of my life style, continued to care about me, and wanted me as their friend.
Where are you studying?
I am currently studying a Masters Degree in Jewish-Christian relations at the Wolfe Institute, Cambridge. My studies for ordination are taking the form of the first year of a degree course at a local theological collage, followed (probably) by a transfer to the Masters Degree in the second year of training. I am training part-time due to the financial constraints on me, but prefer not to name the place I am studying for Ordination with so that I am free to whine about the course if I want to!
Tuesday, 19 August 2008
Frequently & Infrequently Asked Questions
Labels:
Anglicanism,
answers,
baby,
blogging,
broken,
Broken Man,
Christian,
Degree,
depression,
experiences,
FAQ,
God,
Morrissey,
ordination,
pain,
priest,
questions,
study,
theology
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


19 comments:
I dont think many are christians with out a LONG story LOL
I love your answers and I am glad you got bored and found my blog!
I do that too and like you I have to leave a hello and I am thrilled with 99 % of the blogs I have travled to!
Hugs Laura
Thanks Broken. It is always great to get to know more about a person I follow here on the blogosphere.
thanks for the recap! i really had many questions and you answered a lot of them. :-)
do you think people react differently when they find out you are a minister-in training? do they watch what they say? or do they spill their guts because you are not allowed to tell anyone else?
franzi
Thank you so much for the openess of your answers. I'm glad you found my blog, as I enjoy yours.
Hope all is going well.
Great post I love getting to know more about people. I agree with Laura and think most christians have long stories too.
Thanks for finding my blog and commenting I love reading new blogs even if it does make my evening on the computer even longer.
xx
Yeap that makes sence. I do like your BLOG
Lifestart - I cant say really what reaction I get as everyone reacts diffrently, and most people find out fairly soon, and if not that then that i study judasim-christian relations and so its just part of the package really. Some people ask me lots of theological questions, but most just ask whether its my round yet
Thank you for your encouraging comments! I'm glad you found my blog, however you did, and for whatever reason!
Hi Broken Man ~~ Loved your answers and feel we all get to know you a little better.
I have always enjoyed your comments on my blog, and sorry I haven't been around for a few days.
Our daughter has had a set back, and was throwing up again today. Please continue to remember her in your prayers....I so appreciate you concern and prayers.
Wanda
I found this fascinating. So glad I happened upon this post this evening.
Well, I found your blog, you didn't find me, so I'm just stopping by to say hello.
Aren't we all broken in some way? No one is without problems and regrets. The important thing is to keep on doing the best you can. Life takes many turns and someday the good you do with be returned.
Wishing you the best and a happy healthy baby,
Alida (Long Island Woman)
Hi Broken, I just found your blog tonight and have been catching myself up. I really enjoy your writing and find your posts both thought provoking and very in line with many of my beliefs, if very much more secure (I struggle greatly with my faith, or what frequently feels like a lack thereof).
Anyway, I just wanted to introduce myself and say thank you for sharing this part of yourself.
Thanks for stopping by! As laura ~peach~ stated, most Christians have a long story. I also started out Christian, fell away from it for a while, then started believing again. Congratulations on expecting!
Hi Broken Man - I'm so glad that you found me! I hope the monster spray works when you need it (looks like it might be a few years though ;) )
I'm touched by your honesty in your posts - and I do believe that I'll be back to visit often!
What a polite blog-guest! Best of luck with your studies, mortgage, etc. Sounds like a fascinating topic.
Bea
Interesting blog. To say the least!
So I was reading your response to why you are broken man and my heart dropped. My first thought was, are you my brother? Then I realized no because, my parents divorced when I was 7, my MOTHER died when I was 14, and my older brother died of an heroin overdose when I was 26. Seriously, still a little creeped out by the similarities.
Congratulations on your pursuit to become a priest. Good luck on your studies.
I found you. I was taken by your name. I was in your "house" so I thought I'd say that I was here. It's probably not wise for you to come to my house. I've a sad baby story. I laughed my butt off that you had a donate button. Very comical. I may do that!
I found you through a prayer request post at Mad Priest. I will pray, although I'm a bit haphazard about prayer. I like the way you talk about Christianity. I have the same sort of reluctance to describe myself that way, and I really didn't expect to end up a Christian.
Post a Comment