There is some evidence to say the babies pick up on sounds in the womb; that at this stage of development if for example you where to read a book to an unborn chuld and to do so repeatedly, when born, the baby would suckle more vigorously if they heard the story being read to them. This means that, to my mind, we are now in a prime time for the indoctrination of music tastes. So, when I am going to sleep of an evening; plugged into my ipod and listning to a lecture or some music, I have taken to placing one ear piece of my music player in the palm of my hand and wrapping my arm around the long suffering wife's bump. Okay, "ridiculous", I hear you say – "the baby won't really pick up on these things" – but I figure its worth a try.
This was not something that me and the wife have discussed, until that is last night – when she noticed. After the “What on earth are you doing?” came the discussion about whether I *really* felt that my unborn baby needed to be listening to the Yale lecture series with me – followed by the – "oh you have to be kidding, you think you are going to get to secretly influence the music tastes of our baby"…so the wife is busy trying to work out how to use i-tunes so she can insure she has a compilation CD of her music to play during the day when she is beyond my reach and influence. The battle of the bands has begun…
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


16 comments:
I hope that you have some Bob Dylan and George Jones in the playlist. I would hate for the baby to be a ninny.
I think your baby's going to end up loving all kinds of music then!
That is a great idea! When my son was born he turned his head towards the sound of my husband's voice. I know it is because my husband talked to my belly every night for nine months.
When I was pregnant, I sang a lullaby I'd written just for my Evil Genius. When he was finally out in the world (about a hundred months later than I would have liked - good grief, what do they do in there, decorate??), I would sing it to him when he fussed - and I believe he recognized it, because he usually calmed right down.
Play on, I say - what could it hurt? Unless, that is, your beloved's spleen has an aversion to whatever you're listening to...tricky things, spleens.
Shade and Sweetwater,
K
I am roaring here! I remember similar conversations when Shaggy was in utero. The Boss (my hubs) was a fairly mainstream Christian music fan with a little punk from his youth thrown in for fun. I, on the other hand, have a wide variety (and always have) of tastes in music. I think the only stuff I NEVER enjoy is screamo metal and Southern Gospel/BlueGrass. He used to bemoan the fact that I was the primary influence over our baby-to-be's music exposure :) That was before iPods, back when I had to just blast my boombox in our little apartment while I cleaned.
Thanks for stopping by - glad to have a visitor from across the pond :) Congrats on your coming baby - parenting is one of the best journeys I've ever been on!
Throw in some Led Zeppelin too. We played all kinds of music for our two. Folk, rock, classical, show tunes, etc. And every night at bedtime, the Mountain Man would read the Winnie the Pooh stories to my belly (we figured the kid heard me enough during the day).
Thanks for stopping by my blog in the 32-aker woods.
It's nice to meet you - I'll be back.
I had a friend who said that classical music will babies in the womb. Certainly can't hurt!
Thanks for visiting my blog. And yes, that was an acutal sign on a shirne in India.
Sorry you had to wait so long to see your country win a gold.
I like your "about me." Not wanting to believe in God and certainly not wanting to be a Christian. Praise God for His redeeming power!
I beleive it is true. My husband and I were addicted to a CD of an artist that we saw while I was pregnant with our first. We listened to it over and over. When our daughter was born, one of the things that could instantly calm her was turning that CD on. It was great in the car.
PLEASE soem SARAH MACCLACHLEN
Thanks for dropping by my blog, I actually shouted out loud, hey I got a reader across the pond! ...to an empty room. I'm cool with the level of insanity I live in.
I think playing music for your baby is a beautiful thing! We named our babies as soon as we found out the sex (I'm impatient like that), and when they were born they knew their names; we didn't call/ refer to them as "it." (Lot of good that did us with our last, our only daughter; she'll be 2 this month and probably thinks her real name is baby girl.) But the point is, they hear and they learn. Early and well, both good points for parents to learn early too, lol!
I read your bio and I'm so glad the Lord reached you and is using you to reach others. Congratulations!
Enthusiastically His,
Whitney
i'm sure you'll be able to beat mommy on this one! ;-)
thanks for stopping by on my blog and leaving nice wishes.
best (for the back, the baby, the mommy and the battle of the bands),
franzi
Don't let the baby hear any of Pete Jensen's sermons as s/he will grow up to be a fat old bigot
I sang "Jesus Loves Me" to our daughter every morning while she was in the womb.
When she gets fussy, that song helps calm her down....
Coincedence?
Cute! This baby is gonna be well rounded, I see.
My husband used to place his hand on my stomach and sing to our baby. Now, even at 9, when she is sick, or upset , he sings one particular song to her and she either curls up and goes to sleep or relaxes so she can feel better. Even when shes sad she will ask her daddy to sing to her.
Keep doing it, it certainly won't hurt anything!
Post a Comment