I am really struggling today. The car insurance came up for renewal last week and, while I was sitting typing away at the computer, my long-suffering wife asked me whether it needed to go on direct debit to be paid monthly, or whether it could be paid for in a lump sum. Without thinking about it – or rather, not wanting to have the conversation at that moment in time, I said “whatever is easiest, just pay it” or words to that effect.
My wife duly paid the car insurance, and thought no more of it.
She then went to buy food and discovered there is no money in the account. Don’t fear, dear reader, I still have a credit card which has a little space on it so we won't starve but the situation is fairly black.
As regular readers will know, we are trying to sell our flat – let me clarify this situation somewhat. Six or seven weeks ago the estate agent came around and we were all ready to put the flat on the market, but my lovely mother said that really the flat would look better if it had some carpets in it (we do have *some* carpets, but some areas (eg the stairs) the carpets were in such a bad state that we had to pull them up, after falling down the stairs. Twice.
So, anyway, my mum kindly offered to pay for the carpet and the fitting, and told us to put off selling till the new carpet had been fitted. Six weeks later and the person fitting it is still messing us about as to when it's going to happen. Six weeks with a falling housing market means that this may well have knocked another £2000 of the value of our flat, which had already gone into negative equity anyway. I know it's not a good time to sell, but we realised that our fixed rate mortgage runs out soon, and we can't afford for our rate to rise. We also had a letter today from the mortgage company telling us that from October, we would have to pay £125 more each month on our mortgage. That gives us less than two months to sell our flat before we get into *serious* trouble.
I really am feeling rather panicked. I know we won't starve; I know it won't come to that, but I can't see an end to the debt and I really just want to cry. I am trying desperately to “look on the bright side” but today...its just not working. Sorry to moan; I know its most unbecoming and that I should just be trusting that it will all work out but, in honesty, right now, it doesn’t feel like it will.
Yours as ever,
The Broken Man.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


7 comments:
I am interested to know how you came to be commenting on my blog?
I wish I could help you but I have been in a similar position to yours on many occasions and am not so much better at the moment,and now have 2 sons who are in dire straits.
How strong is your faith?
Sadly somethings repeat. 17 years ago we were expecting our first child. My wife had been made redundant a while before, so we had thought - what a good time to start a family. We had -ve equity and a legal battle with the freeholder.
Like you we could see no way out, for 4 years we rented out our flat while renting a house from friends, then we were able to buy somewhere with a mortgage that covered the remaining -ve equity. We also borrowed from parents-in-law.
It was a horrible time, but annoying as teenagers are I would not swap him for financial security - well most of the time I wouldn't :-)
Not trying to come over that it is all easy or that I know it all but to reassure you that these difficult times do not last forever.
So hang in there, don't panic if the money worries seem to dominate, it is a natural feeling especially when expecting a first child.
Instead find (cheap!) ways to support and encourage each other.
Best wishes
Dave
I am so sorry to hear about the hard time you are going through. I will have to go back through your blog and read a little more on everything that has happened. I, too, have been in that same situation. All I can say is to just hang in there. I know that isn't much help, but things will get better.
Just try and focus on the fact that you are going to be a daddy and that is amazing and happy and such a blessing!!
Keep your chin up!
This is ridiculous! Why do people go into the ministry and think the world should pay their living. Work like everybody else. This is so typical.
Anonymous,
thank you for your comment.I'm not sure whether we are talking at cross-purposes or not. Working ful-time as a priest does not pay a lot of money, but does involve a six day week. It is because this is poorly paid that those entering ministry are required to be debt-free.
I do work full-time, very long hours, whilst also studying, and am not suggesting that I shouldn't need to.
I set up the "donate" button on my blog in direct response to one of my readers, and I certainly do not expect anyone to donate.
I write my blog about my life, and this is what is currently going on in my life - nothing more. I am not trying to elicite donations - in fact you may see by my latest post that I am struggling with what I should be doing altogether, and thinking about withdrawing myself from the process.
The Broken Man
Dear Broken Man,
Keep praying and keep your faith in God. I Peter 1:6-7 talks about the importance of the testing of our faith. It is a part of our schooling in Christ.
When my husband and I were your age, we went through a great trial. We had two small children, ages 3 and 2.
My husband was working framing houses and we were barely making ends meet.Then he was diagnosed with a tumor near the brain. They told us that after the surgery, he would be a vegetable and not be able to do for himself.
Long story short, after much prayer, he came through the surgery with only the loss of his hearing in one ear and the balance on that side. We got through those days with never having to miss a payment on anything and we ate better than we ever did.
If our faith for salvation is in the payment that Christ paid for us and in nothing else, God will see us though. He is obligated! We are his child.
Remember this, Christianity is not a religion. It is a relationship with Christ. Many people have a religion. Religion will not save us. Religion will not get us through our trials. Knowing Christ personally by telling him that we accept his shed blood for the payment of our sin, and we are not trusting on anything else, gives us a life that we never thought possible.
I know that you know all of this but sometimes it is good to hear it again especially when we are going through a trial.
I can't help but find myself excited about your trial. You say, WHAT? Yes, when God meets your needs, you will come to know him in a way that you never would have thought possible. The God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob is real. He is alive today and he wants to make a difference in our lives.
I would rather email you this but I couldn't find your email.
I have to say that I agree with cherdecor. I dont thikn it's very fair that you get attacked on your own blog. We are in this world to support and pray for each other, not judge.
I know it might not be easy to hear, but "New level, New Devel." He will attack you when you are moving forward. You just need to stand your ground and read your Bible that you can move forward in your relationship with God.
Post a Comment