Someone made the comment to me, after the hospital debacle last week, that they hoped my wife is now “well within herself”।
I am not one taken to rants about the ridiculousness of the English language and those who use it, but I really would like to know who else she would be well in, if not herself.
If she is feeling well within my next door neighbour, I feel I would be reasonable to raise a couple of questions – concerns even, about what she is doing inside my neighbour.
This expression goes with a number of other terms I find somewhat frustrating; for example, “Very true”. No, my friend, it is not very true. It’s true, it’s untrue, I might even allow partially true, but “very true”? No, that is an expression designed to make my ears bleed.
I mentioned this to my long suffering wife, believing that she would share in my sense of outrage at this use of the English language. Instead, she told me that she felt that I had enough things to rant about and that I don’t need anything else. Clearly my wife has mistaken me for someone else. Me? Rant? Complain? It’s not in my nature.
Monday, 4 August 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


12 comments:
Well I would assume that "within herself" was in contrast to outer appearances, as in - does she feel emotionally well, since although physically all seems to be fine she may "in herself" be rather less than fine still.
As for very true, there are degrees of truth. I am a mother of two. That is true. I am a mother of six, that is also true. Which is more true? Which should be *affirmed* as more true? I am a hippy, that is probably true by certain limited definitions of the word. But I am a human being, complex and undefinable by most terms. That is "very true" to use the phrase that bugs you. ;)
Sarah
Thanks for visiting my blog. Congrats on the upcoming baby. I hope your wife is feeling well within herself. : )
lol this post is too funny!!
It's so true, there are so many silly expressions people use on a daily basis that if you actually think about it make no sense!
Thanks for the add to the blog roll; I am flattered! I will add you as soon as I figure out how to change my blog roll title to "I don't know these women" haha!!
hello there!
Morgan contacted me after you commented in her blog (one-of-those-women) - I organised the the Bournemouth breastfeeding picnic last month.
I'm happy to say that there are several mum-led bf support groups in Bournemouth and Poole, and parents-to-be are very welcome to visit. I'd never seen a woman breastfeeding in the flesh until I tried it myself, and wish that I'd gone antenatally too!
At present we have groups in Moordown, Winton, Southbourne, Boscombe, Rossmore, Poole centre and Upton. We do try to publicise them, but obviously have a way to go! If you and your lady wife would like to come along, call Carole on 01202 522621 for Bmth groups or Julie on 07500 121693 for Poole. Or contact me on sophiesmailbox@yahoo.com, though I will be on holiday for the next week.
For the most part our groups are not only a chance to get advice, but to have a natter, watch the kiddies play, that sort of thing. An alternative/addition to the under-ones' groups run by GP surgeries. Some women come just for advice, others like myself stick around for months on end to help out - and chat! - too :)
best wishes, Sophie
LOL, you did make me laugh tonight especially the bit about your wife saying you had too many other things to rant about.
I hope she is doing 'well within herself' though and the bump is doing well too
xx
Wow I'm slow, I've just realised that I've been chatting to your wife elsewhere LOL! Um, anyhow, now that I've connected the two of you ;) I hear you're getting on rather well with the new sling. :D
I'm sure my abuse of the English language would make you cry, because I flog it on a daily basis. BTW, I think blogs were built for ranting and raving - that is my excuse and I'm sticking to it.
Thanks for visiting -- hope you enjoyed your stay!
I'm with you on a) the ranting and b) the illogical and irritating use of the English language.
My real question for you, however, is on your discovery of religion. I'm intrigued in going from an athiest to studying for the priesthood. Being in Englad, I'll assume that you're Episcopal? We're Catholic about to become Episcopal (I think) and the new pastor -- as in landed today -- at the church we've been attending is named David and is from England. (That whole weird coincidences thing) Definitely interested in any insights!
I love hearing expressions that are cultural too. My dad's a reformed Brit (he's lived across the pond for 40+ years), and my brother and I used to laugh at some of his sayings.
So while you're ranting and raving, I'm busy giggling at your wife being "within herself".
And thanks for stopping by!
Great Post! I can relate to your wife though I'm afraid. My husband is the ranter who doesn't know he is!
This is so funny. Very funny? Can things be more than just funny? Now that I've typed that the word funny seems just wrong. Where did that word come from?
Being very true is like being very pregnant. BTW, her bump is indeed beautiful.
The Loved and I have bemoaned the use of misuse of the English language on many occasions, despite the fact that I misuse it all the time. I feel like I can't rant about it--pot meet kettle kind of feelings pop up. So I'm glad someone else does.
Rules Grammar Change
Post a Comment